Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Really Irritating

One of the things that really irritates me is the tendency of people to form groups where there aren't any. For example, the tendency of political parties to look at

  • Hispanics
  • Blacks
  • Old people
  • Asians
anyone who isn't white as all the same. The old people thing really bothers me as I am one. In fact, I'm the "worst" kind an old white guy. The parties view us as right wing, conservative, bigoted and I am none of those things. Hell, I grew up in the 1960's!


As I used to tell my kids growing up. Treat each person as an individual, not as some member of a group. Sure, you will have some impression of them when you first meet them, but, give everyone a chance. After you have known them for some time, make your decision about that individual, not the entire class of people.

I used to own three perfectly good read caps from one of the local radio stations. They were good hats which I enjoyed wearing. Then came Little Lying Donald and MAGA. I was forced to stop wearing them and eventually to throw them out because of people assuming that because I was old and wearing a red cap that I was a MAGA supporter. Far from it.

So how do I deal with the frustration? I pretty much ignore the radical right. If a "talking head" on TV is lumping all the old folks into the same group, I remind myself that he is doing so for ratings. It's easy to lump everyone together. It's much harder to get to know someone and treat them as an individual with their own needs, desires and issues.

I also remind myself that we are all pretty much the same wherever in the world we go. We have basic needs and issues. We try to deal with them in the best way we can and just try to get along.co

I'm going to write up some things that I would like to see. Those of you who think that we old white guys are all right-wing conservative bigots may be surprised. Keep an open mind and we can have some fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Listening to Change

“Real listening is a willingness to let the other person change you.” ― Alan Alda, Never Have Your Dog Stuffed: And Other Things I've Le...